Newlands aims to provide the best education possible for all of our pupils. We have based our approach to the teaching of phonics on action research, school visits and a thorough review of educational research. For more details read our Newlands phonics guide
Read the report which helped to inform our research: http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/reading-six-how-best-schools-do-it
We use Read Write Inc. as a consistent approach for the teaching and delivery of phonics. Find out more about RWInc here:
You can find out more information about how to help your children with there phonics here:
Covid-19 School Closure
Below are some activities recommended by the our class teachers
Daily Phonics Lessons on YouTube
We’re streaming three, short Speed Sounds lessons for children to watch at home every weekday on our YouTube channel.
Each lesson is ten minutes long and available for 24 hours.
Repeats of lessons streamed up until Friday 3rd April will be shown during the Easter holidays (excluding Bank Holidays).
• Set 1 Speed Sounds 9.30 am (BST) – for children in Nursery and Reception and children who are new to English
• Set 2 Speed Sounds 10.00 am – for children in Reception that can read Set 1 Speed Sounds and for children in Year 1 and 2
• Set 3 Speed Sounds 10.30 am – for children in Year 1 and 2 that can read Set 2 Speed Sounds
After the Easter holidays, we will:
- Continue Sets 1, 2 and 3 Speed Sounds lessons
- Add lessons to help children read words with Set 1 Speed Sounds and spell words with Set 1, 2 and 3 sounds
Don’t worry if you miss a lesson. Once each set has been shown, we will replay one a day from each set.